Last week, AWAVA was able to participate in highly productive roundtable discussions with Government, business, academics, and NGOs to help with the development of the Second Action Plan. A call for submissions has now gone out for written submissions to inform the development of the Second Action Plan under the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010-22. Submissions are due by 14 March.
In exciting news, the National Women’s Alliances (including AWAVA) will be presenting a half-day forum on the Convention On The Elimination Of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the Human Rights Treaty System.
Around the Country
- The Australian Institute of Criminology has released a report on human trafficking involving partner migration and how victims/survivors seek help
- Pittwater Council is looking to work in partnership with local organisations to eliminate violence against women
- A two day forum is being held in Rockhampton to help find ways to address growing rates of domestic violence in Central Queensland
- The video of a presentation about rape culture given by Australian Writer Clementine Ford at TEDxSouthBankWomen is now available online
Around the World
- The Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters has released a video about how everyday people can help prevent and eliminate violence against women
- In the United States, a nation-wide study has found that domestic violence survivors are experiencing severe health issues as a result of their abuse and that those health needs are not being met