A very happy new year to our dear readers! AWAVA hopes that 2014 has started well and joyously for you all. Our weekly round up is now back after a hiatus over the seasonal holidays and we are looking forward to continuing to bring to you the latest Australian and global information on policy, advocacy, research, and events on the prevention and elimination of violence against women and their children.
Around the Country
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has marked the first anniversary of its establishment with the release of more detailed information about its work in the past 12 months.
- The rate of sexual assault in Forbes and Parkes Local Government Areas in NSW has been increasing dramatically in the last 12 months up to double the national average.
- Former AFL player Luke Ablett asks, ‘what are we, in our social groups in our communities, and as a society, doing that makes some men violent?’
- A woman asylum seeker has reported being sexually assaulted in the Christmas Island detention centre, leading to an investigation by Australian police.
- Charlie Pickering calls for Australia to prioritise the problem of men’s violence against women.