Apologies for no round up last week, but the AWAVA team has been flat to the boards getting ready for the first of our community engagement events on the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children. Our first event was in Katherine yesterday.
- The Australian Government has appointed career diplomat Penny Williams as Australia’s first Global Ambassador for women. See the media release here.
- The Age shares the personal story of a woman who is a victim of trafficking
- Julie McKay offers this online opinion piece on VAW in Australia and our region
- the Age reports on new police teams that will aim to provide victim-focused responses to sexual assault and child abuse cases
- The Age reports on the call for a ban on non-therapeutic sterilisation of women with disabilities
- Still in the Age, and this article reports on suggested changes to the way trials for sex offences are conducted
- Eureka Alert reports on the role alcohol does, and does not play, in instances of sexual assault