How this year has flown! February already, and I know that lots of you will be making plans for IWD celebrations, as well as the upcoming 2nd World Shelter Conference and CSW56.
With so much happening, now seems like the perfect time to take a few minutes to breathe and read-up on what has been happening in Australia and around the world, with lots of international articles popping up this week.
Around the Country
- More research confirms the prevalence of Family Violence after disasters, as reported here by the Age
- And the Australian goes into more detail on the same topic here
- This United Nations Report looks at conflict-related Sexual Violence
- From the USA, read this media release on Sexual Violence, Stalking and Intimate Partner Violence in the US, which highlights the importance of prevention
- Still in the USA, read about the campaign Women are Watching, which is keeping a close eye on ever-more restrictive laws on abortion and birth control
- In the Maldives, there is growing concern over rising rates of violence against women, particularly Female Genital Mutiliation
- In the UK, women’s groups are calling for stronger laws for sexualised images in the media and accurate reporting of violence against women
Dont forget, you still have time to register for these events:
- Identifying the Hidden Disaster: The First Australian Conference on Natural Disasters and Family Violence – Melbourne – 9 March
- Dont miss Eve Ensler at Sydney Theatre on 14 February
- The International Women’s Conference being held in June is calling for submissions
- And don’t forget the 2nd World Shelter Conference in Washington DC, 27 February-1 March