AWAVA will continue to update this page as more resources become available. If you or your organisation have a resource you would like to share, please email it to [email protected].
Family and Domestic Violence & COVID-19 through a gender lens
- The QUT Centre for Justice has released a draft report for comment on The impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Domestic and Family Violence Services, Australia.
- You can view AWAVA’s call for Federal Government support in light of the risks to women’s and children safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as our media statement on initial funding and calls for further investment in safety.
- Fair Agenda continue to collect signatures on their petition urging the government to fund the services women rely on to be safe from violence.
- The Lookout has created an FAQ page on COVID-19 and family violence.
- Domestic Violence Victoria (DVVic) has created a COVID-19 and Family Violence page. It includes resources on COVID-19 and Family Violence for victim survivors, and resources on COVID-19 and Family Violence for family and friends.
- Domestic Violence NSW (DVNSW) has created a COVID-19 information page with links to webinars and emergency briefings, support for SHS providers, government/department information and the police response to COVID-19 and DFV.
- InTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence has created a COVID-19 Hub with information for both women experiencing violence, and community, practitioners and service providers.
- Undercurrent has created a Narrm/Melbourne community resource on Support and Safety Planning During COVID-19. They have also created a version enabling you to enter your local family violence services.
- The Safe & Together Institute has released a special COVID-19 focus podcast episode, exploring being partnered with a survivor and how the dynamics of domestic abuse are changing in the context of COVID-19.
- Stopping Family Violence has released a practice update on COVID-19 and Men’s Behaviour Change Programs.
- Sarah Boyd, Director of Global Advocacy, Data2X, has created a list of COVID-19, gender and data resources.
- The Thriving Communities Partnership has created a COVID-19 Response Directory with community response packages, resources, support and information.
- Insight Exchange has created guides for Uplifting responses to domestic and family violence during and beyond COVID-19.
- The 2015 Inter-Agency Standing Committee Gender-based Violence (GBV) Guidelines website has released a GBV Pocket Guide, which is particularly accessible for non-GBV specialists. The Pocket Guide includes a mobile app in English, PDF versions in English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Turkish and Burmese, as well as a background note and user guide in the actual Pocket Guide resource.
- US-based Futures Without Violence has created a page with information on COVID-19 for survivors, communities and DV/SA programs.
- To support a gendered response to COVID-19 in Australia and overseas, CARE has undertaken Rapid Gender Analysis of the pandemic at the Global level, Pacific regional level, and the Australian national level.
- No to Violence have released their key insights into working with men remotely.
- The Gender-Based Violence Area of Responsibility (GBV AoR) has released a series of webinars covering topics such as the impacts of COVID-19 on women and girls, how to conduct remote GBV assessments and how to transition to remote service delivery.
- Women’s Health and Wellbeing Barwon South West has created a COVID-19 Info & Resource Hub, including a number of videos as part of their LET’S CONNECT: WOMEN’S VOICES THROUGH COVID-19 series.
- The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre has developed a Family Violence During COVID-19 resource to provide information about, and increase awareness of, family violence.
- Our Watch has released a guide on Promoting gender equality in sport as you respond to the coronavirus pandemic.
Tech Safety & Software
- The Women’s Services Network (WESNET) has created a resources page for DFV agencies wanting to use technology during the COVID-19 pandemic. It includes resources on using technology to communicate with survivors during a public health crisis, best practices when using mobile devices for service delivery, and how to operate as a remote workplace during a public health crisis.
- Connecting Up has released a master-list of free or heavily discounted remote work resources for NFP’s during the COVID-19 crisis.
Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Marie Stopes has created a situational report and released a request for collaboration and action to maintain contraceptive and abortion care throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The report will continue to be updated.
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has created a Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advice and Information page for pregnant women and their families.
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has also collaborated with Harmony Alliance to create an information factsheet for pregnant women during COVID-19.
- Updates on the expansion of Telehealth services are available here.
- The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement has released a number of factsheets and resources for practitioners and the public.
- The Blue Knot Foundation has created a guide on why face masks may be triggering for trauma survivors.
Alcohol and Other Drugs
- The Network of Alcohol and Other Drugs Agencies (NADA) has created a COVID-19 Info & Resources For NADA Members pamphlet.
- The NSW Users and Aids Association (NUAA) has created a COVID-19 page with information, resources and advocacy advice.
- The US Harm Reduction Coalition has created a factsheet on Safer Drug Use During the COVID-19 Outbreak.
- Sunshine Behavioral Health in Orange County, California has released a resource that discusses addiction and how people in recovery with mental health issues can still receive counseling and attend support group meetings online during quarantine.
- The Recovery Village has made available teletherapy for addiction and mental health, providing access to one-on-one counselling, group therapy, and various online services virtually with a licensed professional for people based in the US.
- The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s Alliance (NATSIWA) and Marrawah Law have created a factsheet on payday lending.
- Services Australia has created a page on information and services to help if you’re affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) or looking for more details. This includes a page where you can register your intention to claim a Centrelink payment if you’re affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).
- moneysmart.gov.au has created a page on COVID-19 financial assistance, including resources on making financial decisions during challenging times and protecting yourself from scams.
- The Australian Government Department of Social Services has created a page with regular updates on the Whole of Government Response to Coronavirus, including economic support payments and stimulus.
- Basic Rights Queensland has created resources and factsheets on COVID-19 and Centrelink, information on income support payments for people already getting a payment, and information on income support for coronavirus if you’ve never received income support or can’t find your CRN.
- The Welfare Rights Centre has information and factsheets that can assist you to resolve some problems with Centrelink yourself.
- Lawyer Sophie Trevitt has created a step-by-step guide to see if you are eligible for Centrelink assistance during COVID-19.
- Economic Justice Australia has released a series of factsheets on COVID-19 and Centrelink, including information on claiming Centrelink and the Disability Support Pension.
- Women’s Legal Service Victoria has released a factsheet on steps to take before accessing your superannuation early during COVID-19.
- Commbank has released a pamphlet on domestic and family violence and the impacts of coronavirus, including information on financial abuse, accessing super and financial safety planning.
Housing and Homelessness
- The Tenants’ Union of New South Wales has created an information page on Renting & Coronavirus: What you need to know. It contains links to relevant resources and information in different states.
- Shelter WA has created a COVID-19 page with information and links for the social and affordable housing and homelessness sector in Western Australia relating to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Centre for Social Impact (CSI) has put together a response and fact sheet on homelessness and COVID-19.
- The Australian Council of Trade Unions has created a Coronavirus (COVID-19): Workers’ Rights Centre. It includes a Coronavirus workplace checklist providing general guidance on how to manage and support workers through COVID-19 related issues.
- JobWatch Employment Rights Legal Centre has created a COVID-19 employment rights Q&A page.
- Safe Work Australia has created an information page on COVID-19 and work health and safety.
- The Women’s Legal Centre ACT has released a factsheet on COVID-19 & your employment rights.
Police Accountability & Prisons
- Advocacy bodies across the country, including the Police Accountability Project, Amnesty International, Community Legal Centres Australia and National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (NATSILS) have launched a COVID-19 policing in Australia website, including resources on reporting police and accessing legal support.
- The Police Accountability Project has released a statement on policing the pandemic, stressing the need to prioritise public health, dignity and human rights.
- Australia’s first police complaints chatbot has been launched by Josef Legal, Robinson Gill Lawyers and the Police Accountability Project. You can draft a complaint letter to Victoria Police in under 10 minutes. The service is free to use, private and confidential and allows users to make their complaints anonymously.
- A new website has been launched providing up-to-date information on what is happening in Australian prisons in response to COVID-19.
For People with Disability
- Women With Disabilities Australia (WWDA) has created a Coronavirus COVID-19 page of resources. It includes information on issues for women with disability such as access to grocery items and medications, as well as Auslan interpretations, easy English factsheets and resources for surviving social isolation.
- People with Disability Australia (PWDA) has created a COVID-19 Hub. This hub includes latest news, accessible resource, where to get help, information on disability support services and more.
- The NDIA has created Coronavirus FAQS and Easy Read information for NDIS participants.
- Ideas. has created Easy English Coronavirus COVID-19 Resources.
- The Disability Royal Commission has suspended upcoming public hearings and community forums, and released both a media release and statement of concern regarding the COVID-19 pandemic for people with disability.
- The Australian Government Department of Health has created Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for health care and residential care workers.
- You can join the Disability and Chronic Illness COVID-19 Information Clearinghouse Australia Facebook group for ongoing updates.
- Asbestos.com has created a guide to Coronavirus for cancer patients, considering older adults with cancer and chronic illness have the highest risk for developing severe complications from COVID-19.
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center has released a blog post with relevant information relating to COVID-19 for Mesothelioma patients.
- The Council for Intellectual Disability has released plain English information on the COVIDSafe app.
- The Australian Government has funded a dedicated Disability Information Helpline to provide accessible information, counselling and outreach services for people with disability who are concerned about or affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Women with Disabilities Victoria has released two new guides for workers about responding to violence against women with disabilities in the COVID-19 context.
For HIV Communities
- Positive Life NSW has created a Frequently Asked Questions page about COVID-19 specifically in relation to people living with HIV (PLHIV).
- Positive Life NSW publishes a weekly COVID-19 ToolKit of practical resources, tools and strategies for people living with HIV in NSW, their supporters and associates who are affected by HIV, as well those who work in the NSW HIV sector.
- Positive Life NSW also maintains regularly updated details of NSW HIV agency and Sector services operating, what’s available and how to access support.
For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- The National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) has created a Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and information page. The page includes resources on how to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- The Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council of NSW (AH&MRC) has created a COVID-19 Outbreak page. The page includes relevant resources, support for member services, and information on travelling to rural and remote Aboriginal communities and preventing a COVID-19 outbreak.
- The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT is collecting signatures on a petition to Stop COVID Aboriginal Deaths in Custody before it’s too late.
- The Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (QLD) has created an information page on sorry business and funerals during COVID-19.
- Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Ltd (KAMS) has created a Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources page. These resources are designed by KAMS for the Kimberley Aboriginal population and include information in Kimberley Kriol.
- The Northern Territory Government has created audio files with health messages for coronavirus (COVID-19) to cover the majority of Aboriginal language groups. More recordings will be added as they become available.
For LGBTIQ Communities
- ACON has created a factsheet answering questions and sharing tips and referrals for the LQBTIQ community.
- ILGA World – the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association has created a COVID-19 page with resources on remote work and wellbeing for LGBTI communities.
- Ithaca College has created a LGBTQ+ People and COVID-19 page with resources on LGBTQ+ communities barriers to care.
- Jack Metcalfe and Amelia Arnold have created a resource on navigating COVID-19 and chest binding for Trans and Non Binary people who bind their chest.
For Refugee and Migrant Communities
- The Refugee Council of Australia has released their priorities for protecting people seeking asylum and refugees to ensure they are included in COVID-19 strategies.
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has published its Key Legal Considerations on access to territory for persons in need of international protection in the context of the COVID-19 response.
- The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is collecting signatures on a petition calling to protect people seeking asylum and refugees in the COVID-19 crisis.
- Ethnolink Language Services has translated COVID-19 (Coronavirus) resources into 50 languages.
- The SBS has launched a Multicultural Coronavirus Portal where communities can access the latest news about the pandemic across 63 languages.
- The Australian Government Department of Health have released translated coronavirus (COVID-19) resources.
- The VIC Government has created coronavirus disease (COVID-19) fact sheets available in 48 languages.
- The NSW Government has created translated factsheets on slowing the spread of COVID-19 and social distancing.
- The WA Government has created COVID-19 translated resources and campaign materials.
- The QLD Government has created translated Queensland Health resources.
- Videos on how to make a cloth mask have been translated into 10+ language.
- The ACU Institute of Child Protection Studies has released a list of resources and practice tools to help safeguard children during COVID-19.
- UNICEF has created a resource on how to talk to your child about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- The Council of Single Mothers and Their Children have created a page on COVID-19, including where to get the facts and where to find support.
- The Family Court of Australia and the Hon Will Alstergren have released a statement on Parenting Orders and COVID-19.
- The Guardian has published a ‘survival guide’ for parents during family isolation, with advice from psychologists.
- Emerging Minds has created a page on supporting children during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. It includes resources on helping children cope with stress and traumatic events.
- Global Partnership End Violence Against Children has created a page on protecting children during the COVID-19 outbreak. It includes resources on protecting children’s safety online, including an article from Australia’s eSafety Commissioner, distance learning solutions and healthy parenting through the crisis.