Australia’s Ambassador for Women and Girls, Natasha Stott Despoja, works to ensure that the empowerment of women and girls is a central focus of Australia’s diplomatic, development and defence concerns. By advocating internationally for women’s equal participation in political, economic and social affairs, the Ambassador advances global progress, peace and stability.
In cooperation with the Australian Government Office for Women, the Ambassador for Women and Girls engages in international advocacy in support of Australian Government policies and programs to:
- empower women and girls socially, politically and economically
- eradicate violence against women and girls
- eliminate discrimination against women and girls
- ensure better educational and health (including sexual and maternal health) opportunities and outcomes for women and girls
- eradicate trafficking in women and girls
- protect women and girls in conflict and promote the role of women in peace-building, and
- enhance the participation of women in decision-making and leadership.